kasra-dan آواتار ها
    تاریخ عضویت
    Jul 2010
    رشته و دانشگاه
    Marketing @ BI
    ارسال‌ها

پیش فرض پاسخ : رفع اشکال GRE Verbal

Hey Guys

Sorry if my post is not entirely relevant (to BigBook) But I came across a question and wanted to see what you guys think about it.

https://www.ets.org/gre/revised_gene...rbal_reasoning

================================================== ==============

Reading Comprehension Section: Question 4

The answer to question number 4 seems wrong to me. Although Answer C is not entirely mentioned in the passage but can be inferred to be more true than E. What do you think?

Also Text Completion Question 3

I can clearly see that Soporific and tedious match each other but they don't seem, to match the sentence because it uses fascinating object in the middle of the sentence and that is completely the opposite of sleep inducing, exhaustion, etc.
    ویرایش توسط kasra-dan : June 17th, 2016 در ساعت 09:47 AM دلیل: Added a new question
    Galaxy Lights, Solar Echoes and Dark Matters Calling Us to Sth Bigger

John Oliver Explains Everything That is Wrong With Standardized Testing

ApplyAbroad Veteran
    kasra-dan آواتار ها
    تاریخ عضویت
    Jul 2010
    رشته و دانشگاه
    Marketing @ BI
    ارسال‌ها

Question from BigBook No 2.1 Section B ==> Question Number 23

The author assumes that, in determining what would be an optimal allocation ofresources, it would be possible to...

The answer seems to be the first choice

Assign monetary value to all damage resulting from the use of technology

But it was clearly mentioned in the passage that ...

...if there were no external costsresulting from allocating resources through market activity.

It just doesn't sound like a viable answer. WDYT Guys?

نقل قول نوشته اصلی توسط kasra-dan نمایش پست ها
    Hey Guys

Sorry if my post is not entirely relevant (to BigBook) But I came across a question and wanted to see what you guys think about it.

https://www.ets.org/gre/revised_gene...rbal_reasoning

Reading Comprehension Section: Question 4

The answer to question number 4 seems wrong to me. Although Answer C is not entirely mentioned in the passage but can be inferred to be more true than E. What do you think?

Also Text Completion Question 3

I can clearly see that Soporific and tedious match each other but they don't seem, to match the sentence because it uses fascinating object in the middle of the sentence and that is completely the opposite of sleep inducing, exhaustion, etc.
    Hi,
    Your inference for choice C might be true, but it is not the answer question looking for. I mean the question clearly states that how the author addressed the Glass’s use of popular elements.
    the author mentioned that his work was unique, in spite of using classical element. This uniqueness is contributed to the popular classical music but it clearly states that’’ Yet this use of .popular elements has not made Glass a composer of popular music” so for me, choice C is not true.

تاریخ عضویت
    May 2015
    رشته و دانشگاه
    economics-allame university
    ارسال‌ها

bigbook verbal section 2-3 section B
    question numbers of 21-22-23

just a brief explanation of the currect answer would be beneficial for me.

ApplyAbroad Veteran
    kasra-dan آواتار ها
    تاریخ عضویت
    Jul 2010
    رشته و دانشگاه
    Marketing @ BI
    ارسال‌ها

نقل قول نوشته اصلی توسط Ftbrave نمایش پست ها
    bigbook verbal section 2-3 section B
    question numbers of 21-22-23

just a brief explanation of the currect answer would be beneficial for me.
    This section was one of the toughest sections in Big Book (so far for me)

Lets discuss it together to see what is going on.

============================

First question 21

The author‟s attitude toward the various kinds of compulsion employed by social institutions is best described as ...

To me this question means how the author is describing different kinds of compulsions of forces that are available in social sphere. I guess this section belongs to the second paragraph. The tone of this paragraph is quite scientific. I don't sense any suspicious, reproach, sympathy, etc. So that's why I chose the Answer B.

===========================

Question 22

According to the passage, states of power are transient because of the ...

This one was quite easy but I got it wrong when I was doing the test. It is asking us why states of power are unstable and lasting for a short period of time.

The answer was exactly mentioned in the third paragraph...

but in the moving substrate of force relations that, by virtue of their inequality, constantly engender local and unstable states of power

So the answer is A

=======================

Question 23

It can be inferred from the passage that the author believes the conflict among social forces to be ...

This is a very tough question for me mainly because I don't grasp the meaning of the question itself although it seems quite easy. I did answer it correctly while I was doing the test but only by eliminating the wrong answers.

تاریخ عضویت
    May 2015
    رشته و دانشگاه
    economics-allame university
    ارسال‌ها

نقل قول نوشته اصلی توسط kasra-dan نمایش پست ها
    This section was one of the toughest sections in Big Book (so far for me)

Lets discuss it together to see what is going on.

============================

First question 21

The author‟s attitude toward the various kinds of compulsion employed by social institutions is best described as ...

To me this question means how the author is describing different kinds of compulsions of forces that are available in social sphere. I guess this section belongs to the second paragraph. The tone of this paragraph is quite scientific. I don't sense any suspicious, reproach, sympathy, etc. So that's why I chose the Answer B.

===========================

Question 22

According to the passage, states of power are transient because of the ...

This one was quite easy but I got it wrong when I was doing the test. It is asking us why states of power are unstable and lasting for a short period of time.

The answer was exactly mentioned in the third paragraph...

but in the moving substrate of force relations that, by virtue of their inequality, constantly engender local and unstable states of power

So the answer is A

=======================

Question 23

It can be inferred from the passage that the author believes the conflict among social forces to be ...

This is a very tough question for me mainly because I don't grasp the meaning of the question itself although it seems quite easy. I did answer it correctly while I was doing the test but only by eliminating the wrong answers.
    hey, I might find the correct answer for the last question. lets paraphrase the second paragraph. this one is trying to tell us that force relations are existed in the social area. furthermore, the support, contradiction and strategies in which they take effects are crystallized in the state structure. So, the contradiction of forces is a feature of the social order which is the option c
    ویرایش توسط Ftbrave : June 26th, 2016 در ساعت 11:56 AM

.Different format of two same questions
    the answer seems correct but I'm still thinking about choice B specially INSPIRE.
    ?How should we conclude that choice B is not true.
    Thanks

. .........However -------they might be, Roman poets were bound to have some favorite earlier author whom they would
    (A) subservient. .imitate
    (B) independent. .inspire
    (C) original. .emulate
    (D) creative. .admire
    (E) talented. .neglect

=============
    NEW GRE FORMAT

. .........However -------they might be, Roman poets were bound to have some favorite earlier author whom they would

Blank(i)
    A subservient
    B original
    C talented

Blank ii
    D inspire
    E emulate
    F admire

ApplyAbroad Veteran
    Fairymaid آواتار ها
    تاریخ عضویت
    Mar 2013
    ارسال‌ها

نقل قول نوشته اصلی توسط nima128 نمایش پست ها
    .Different format of two same questions
    the answer seems correct but I'm still thinking about choice B specially INSPIRE.
    ?How should we conclude that choice B is not true.
    Thanks

(A) subservient. .imitate
    (B) independent. .inspire
    (C) original. .emulate
    (D) creative. .admire
    (E) talented. .neglect

=============
    NEW GRE FORMAT

Blank(i)
    A subservient
    B original
    C talented

Blank ii
    D inspire
    E emulate
    F admire

سلام،

مطمئنا گزینه B از قسمت اول نمی تونه جواب باشه یعنی گزینه های independent و inspire صد در صد اشتباهن و تنها گزینه درست original و emulate هست. اما توضیح:

این جمله ماست:
    However -------they might be, Roman poets were bound to have some favorite earlier author whom they would
    گرچه آنها خلاقیت داشتند (اصیل بودند)، شاعران رومی مجبور بودند از بعضی شاعران پیشین خود تقلید کنند.
    بخش هایی رو که قرمز کردم کلیدهای ماست که به حل سوال کمک می کنه.

however نشون میده 2 بخش جمله contrast داره

و favorite earlier author نشون میده که شاعرهای اولیه و مقدم تری از شاعران رومی بودند که .... (که چی؟) آیا شما شاعر قبل تر از خودت رو "الهام می بخشی؟" (inspire) یا ازش "تقلید می کنی؟" یا "رقابت می کنی؟" (emulate، imitate) شما می تونی رو شاعر بعد از خودت تاثیر بزاری و الهام بخشش باشی نه شاعری که قبل از بودن تو مرده.

پس تنها گزینه صحیح بلنک دوم emulate یا معادل اون imitate هست.

حالا بلنک اول: بین independent و original می خوای independent رو انتخاب کنی که اشتباهه. چرا؟
    independent یعنی مستقل بودن، not influenced or controlled in any way by other people, events or things
    و original یعنی اصالت داشتن در سبک خود created personally by a particular artist،writer، musician،etc.

یک نویسنده در زبان انگلیسی originality داره وقتی می خوایم بگیم که سبکش منحصر به فرد و تقلیدی نیست.

(اینجاس که همیشه تاکید می کنم مثال زیاد بخونیم، و متن انگلیسی زیاد ببینیم. چون این تفاوت ها تنها در context هست که فرصت بروز پیدا می کنه.)

جمله contrast داره چون however در جمله اومده: گرچه اونها اصالت دارن، ولی مجبور به تقلید بودند.

موفق باشی
    اینجا هم بهت گفتم واسه منبع وربال و لغت چیکار کنی

Hi my friends,
    .I get stuck on a difficult question, in such a way that I've found two different answers. please help me solve this tough question

.-------,Although the meanings of words may necessarily be liable to change, it does not follow that the lexicographer is therefore unable to render spelling, in a great measure

(A) arbitrary
    (B) superfluous
    (C) interesting
    (D) flexible
    (E) constant

My answer is choice A , the answer key says E, here a native English coach believes A is true, and here the correct answer is E

ویرایش توسط nima128 : July 11th, 2016 در ساعت 11:30 AM

علاقه مندی ها (Bookmarks)

علاقه مندی ها (Bookmarks)

مجوز های ارسال و ویرایش

• شما نمیتوانید موضوع جدیدی ارسال کنید
  • شما امکان ارسال پاسخ را ندارید
  • شما نمیتوانید فایل پیوست در پست خود ضمیمه کنید
  • شما نمیتوانید پست های خود را ویرایش کنید
  •