موضوع: نکاتی در مورد ارسال ایمیل به اساتید

ApplyAbroad Hero robotic آواتار ها
    تاریخ عضویت
    Dec 2008
    رشته و دانشگاه
    مهندسی
    ارسال‌ها

پیش فرض نکاتی در مورد ارسال ایمیل به اساتید

Subject line to email admissions? How to email admissions for graduate school admission

how to email admissionsIn our everyday email conversations or any email conversation we initiate, we are used to putting catchy subject lines for emails that we send to anyone. Few of them are as below:

Hello
    Hello ! How are you ?
    Hi , How are you ?
    Need info
    Thank you
    Met you in bus, train

Few years ago, I was exactly the same way as everyone, not sure what to put in the subject line when I email admission seeking information. Sometimes I did not get replies. I was really mad at the admission/ professors as they did not email me back. Guess what I have learnt when I started MS in US, “NO ONE really opens the email; they ONLY read the Subject line and delete the email if they do not recognize it”. If you put in any of the subject lines like above, they never even read it. That’s the problem. This email will give reasons why it is important and what kind of email subject lines should you use when you email admissions for graduate school i.e. MS or MBA.

Why is it important to have a good subject line for emailing Admissions or Professors ?

I started my first Graduate (MS) class and the professor handed out the syllabus. The guidelines on the first page under contact section, “ Email Subject should at least say the COURSE NUMBER and some relevant info, if not, Emails will be deleted as SPAM”. I thought to myself “ Oh MY GOD ! none of my emails were read”. Just imagine the situation from a professor perspective, professors teach two to three classes and students they interact with can vary anywhere from 50 – 200, also they are in all the faculty email listings, they get emails from University, Personal emails, advertisement emails, etc… The reality is, there are way too many emails for them to open, read and validate. On top of this, there is a virus threat. So, NO ONE really opens the email if they see anything that is not familiar or really meaningful. Please avoid the subject line as I stated in the beginning. It is same case with admissions department. A university strength can vary from 10,000 to 70,000. Imagine how many people would be applying ? at least 30,000 to 200,000. Admissions do not take time to read every email that does not say any appropriate info about seeking admission. They just delete or put in other list and review later. Overall, the point is, email subject is very critical. In fact, personally I do not read any email if I do not see proper subject line, because I get so many emails…

What should the subject line be for emailing graduate school admissions or Professors?

Because of the importance of the subject line, you have to put the perfect subject information when you email admissions. Your email subject line should say few things like :

What is your status ? Current student or prospective student ?
    When do you want to apply for admission ?
    What is your question ? Can you come up the whole gist of your question in 3 words ?
    What is the urgency of the information ?

I can keep writing few more, but fundamentally these are the key things you have to ask yourself when you put in a subject line.

Sample Subject lines emailing Admissions :

Fall 2011 Prospective Student: Need Admission Status
    Spring 2011 Student : Seeking Scholarship Information
    Summer 2012 Graduate Student : I20 Status
    Prospective student 2011: Need admission info
    Prospective student 2012: Need I20 Info, URGENT !

If you carefully observe all the above, anyone can identify what you need. They look quite simple and crisp don’t they? I cannot believe I screwed up these things before J

Sample Subject lines to email Professor for Graduate School, funding, etc :

As I mentioned above, professors do NOT read everything. You have to convince Professor with your subject line that they should read the email without deleting it. Because you do not have a course name or subject name with you, you have to be very cautious. All the guidelines that were told above apply here too.

Fall 2011 Prospective Student: Research Info needed
    Summer 2011 Student: Artificial Intelligence Research Question
    Spring 2012 prospective student: Need Admission Information
    Fall 2012 Student : Need info on Research prospects at UW-Madison
    Summer 2012: Research Assistantships Info needed, URGENT !

The key word to mention in subject line is PROSPECTIVE STUDENT. The trick is, no professor would throw away any email if it has prospective student because, you are a potential student to the university and they will read it and forward it right person if they do not know. Think about it, prospective students are the future customers for the School, they do not want to lose customers J
    هرکه را اسرار حق آموختند
    مهر کردند و دهانش دوختند

تاریخ عضویت
    Dec 2008
    رشته و دانشگاه
    مهندسی
    ارسال‌ها

پیش فرض پاسخ : نکاتی در مورد ارسال ایمیل به اساتید

4 Tips to email Professors for Graduate School Admission in USA?

If you do not know, emailing professors and getting in touch with them during admission process will increase your How to email Professor For Graduate School Admission in USchances of admission and funding. Your challenge is to make sure you write a good email that shows your genuine interest and zeal to work for the professor with passion. Many students have a bunch of questions like

How to email professor for getting admission ?
    How to write email to get funding or fellowship from professor ?
    What to email professor ? Contents of email ?
    Should I ask for funding or NOT in first email ?
    What if I get a reply, how should I proceed?
    What should the subject line be for email to professor ?
    What kind of English should I use ? Simple?

I will try to address some of these questions as tips

1. Subject line for Emailing professors for Graduate School Admission :

Subject line is the most important piece of email. Most the emails are not even opened by professors; they just look at subject line and delete them. The main reason is, they get so much email from university, students, research, etc. If you put in subjects like ‘Hello’, ‘Hi’, ‘How are you?’ , ‘admission’, ‘scholarship’, etc. The chances are your email is not even read. They will just delete it. For more info, read this article: Importance of good subject line for emailing Admissions or Professors. Here are some sample subject lines to email professors for admission:

Fall 2011 Prospective Student: Research Info needed
    Summer 2011 Student: Artificial Intelligence Research Question
    Spring 2012 prospective student: Need Admission Information
    Fall 2012 Student : Need info on Research prospects at UW-Madison
    Summer 2012: Research Assistantships Info needed, URGENT !

The key word to mention in subject line is PROSPECTIVE STUDENT. The trick is, no professor would throw away any email if it has prospective student because, you are a potential student to the university and they will read it and reply or forward it right person if they do not know. Think about it, prospective students are the future customers for the School.

2. English, Grammar and Punctuations in the Email:

I have seen students write emails without using proper English, especially grammar and punctuations. If you do not write email without proper English, it clearly indicates your incompetency and lack of good writing skills. Professors do NOT want to even reply to these kind of emails. They are academicians, writing good English is mandatory to succeed. The expect someone applying to Graduate school to have proper writing skills and ability to articulate your ideas properly. So, be careful when you write email. Do not use chat language like ‘c u then, hw r u ?, life gud…’ . You have to write proper English with proper capitalizations, punctuations, and grammar. If you do not have these, you may not get positive response. In fact, in one of my first graduate classes, one of my professors told us that he will not respond to emails that do not have proper English and we may get negative points too. So, be careful!

3. Research Information of Professor in Email :

Your email should clearly demonstrate that you have a complete understanding about the professors research area and what he actually does in that area. The key thing to understand is, every professor specializes in particular research area and they have research grants only related to that particular research area. They can only consider you for funding, if you are interested in the research they specialize in. When you write an email to professor, you should mention about research and use some technical jargon related to his research area. You may only do that if you have read few research papers that they have written. So, if you can read few research papers of the professors and mention about them in the email, it clearly shows that you have done your homework and they will be interested in at least replying to you. You should try to write your technical interests and be able to tie to back to the research area of the professor. You can mention about your research papers or technical presentations. If you have none, just show your interest by doing some homework about topic. For instance, you may say, “ I am very interested to pursue research in Neural Networks and their impact on real time decisions.” You have to do your homework and write as much research info as you can.

4.How to Ask about Admission, Fellowships or Assistantships in Email :

Asking directly that I need admission or funding is a very bad idea. It does not show that you are interested. You have to frame your sentences properly indicating your interest in school and program. Honestly, do not try to just create a fake interest or impression by saying your school is good, blah, blah, blah. Be genuine and write sincerely what you know about the school and what kind of research is at school. Do some homework about school, read the department website and research area, program info. You have to indicate that you are interested in the school because you like so and so stuff and you would like to be part of it. For funding, you may ask like “I like to do research in this area, how is the funding situation for new students in this area ?”. “ Do new students get any assistantships in first semester ?”. By phrasing it this way, you are not being desperate. It is asking in general. Most of the times, professors say, once you arrive here, meet me and we can discuss funding information.

هرکه را اسرار حق آموختند
    مهر کردند و دهانش دوختند

تاریخ عضویت
    Dec 2008
    رشته و دانشگاه
    مهندسی
    ارسال‌ها

How to email professors at Graduate School for Research and Scholarships at US Universities

Generally students email professors in applying process to increase chances of admissions or express their research interestes. Contacting Professors could indirectly help student to get Research/Teaching Assistantships or Scholarships. Here is an article by USNEWS which could help in emailing professors.

Professors, like everyone else, have gone electronic. In addition to the one-on-one office hour, they're quite willing to communicate by e-mail. Here are some things to consider before clicking the "Send" button:

1. E-mail is forever. Once you send it off, you can't get it back. Once your professor has it, he or she owns it and can save it or, in the worst case, forward it onto colleagues for a good laugh—at your expense.

2. E-mail goes where it's told. Check—and double check—to see that the right address appears in the "To" line. Just because your mom and your professor are both named "Lynn" is no reason to send all your love to Professor Lynn.

3. Professors might not be using the cruddy university e-mail system. So send it to the address they actually use, not the one on the university directory. (Check the syllabus or assignment sheet for clues.)

4. Professors might not open mail sent from luckydogpig@thepound.com. They prefer to open mail sent from more reputable addresses, like you@theCruddyUniversityE-mailSystem.edu.

5. Subject lines are for subjects. Put a brief explanation of the nature of the e-mail (like "question about paper") in the subject line. Never include demands such as "urgent request—immediate response needed." That's the surest way to get your request trashed.

6. Salutations matter. The safest way to start is with "Dear Professor So and So" (using their last name). That way you won't be getting into the issue of whether the prof has a Ph.D. or not, and you won't seem ***ist when you address your female-professor as "Ms." or, worse yet, "Mrs. This and That."

7. Clear and concise is best. Your prof might get 25 or 30 E-mails a day, so, it's best if you ask your questions in as focused and succinct a way as possible. (Hint: it's often good to number your questions). And, if your question is very elaborate or multifaceted, it's best to go to an in-person office hour. You'll get better service that way.
    Extra Pointer. Before sending a draft of a paper to a professor as an attachment, check to see that he or she is willing to accept such longer documents. If not, see if he or she will look over a page or even a central paragraph of your work incorporated into the body of the E-mail. And be sure to "cc" yourself any time you send a piece of work; who knows the fate of the copy you're sending?

Star Tip. Never e-mail your paper as an attachment in a bizarre format. You might think that .odt is really cool since you didn't have to pay for Open Office. But what when the professor discovers it takes him or her 20 minutes to find the plug-in that doesn't work, then another half hour to download Open Office (which ties up all too much space on his computer). What was supposed to be a 15-minute grading job on your paper is now taking over an hour. And then the prof has to assign your grade? Stick to Word.

8. Always acknowledge. If your professor deigns to answer—or send you the handout or reference that you asked for—be sure to tell him or her that you got it. That way he or she will think kindly of you next time they see you in class.

9. THIS IS NOT A SHOUTING MATCH. Don't write in all uppercase letters, which is an E-mail convention for anger or other strong emotions. No one likes yelling.

10. No one really likes emoticons and smileys. Trust us on this one.

11. This is not Facebook. Don't write the professor in the way you'd write on your friend's wall.

Star Tip. It's never a good idea to "poke" your professor, no matter how funny it seems at the time.

12. This is not IM-ing. So pls dun wrte yor profeSR lIk ur txtN. uz abbrz @ yor own rsk. coRec me f Im wrng. (Translation thanks to www.transl8it.com, which features a neat little Facebook widget.)

13. This is not CollegeHumor. Resist the temptation to talk about the "bad ass" paper you need help with, your "loser" TA who didn't teach you what you needed to know, or the "crappy" grade you just got on the midterm.

14. This is not RateMyProfessors.com. The professor doesn't want your comments about his or her performance in the class. Save those for the end-of-semester evaluations, where you'll be able to spout off. Anonymously.

15. Spelling mistakes make you look like a doofus. So always use the spel check, and proofread yyour e-mail, two.

16. Signoffs and signatures count. Always end by thanking the professor for his or her time, and closing with "Best wishes" or "Regards" (or some other relatively formal, but friendly, closing). And always sign with your (entire) real name, not some wacky nickname like Ry-Ry or Biff.

17. Your prof doesn't want to hear your philosophy of life. Skip the cute quotes or statements of your religious or political views at the bottom of your E-mail. You never know what offends.

18. Don't lay it on too thick. It's one thing to be polite and friendly in your e-mail; it's another thing to wind up with a brown nose.
    هرکه را اسرار حق آموختند
    مهر کردند و دهانش دوختند

تاریخ عضویت
    Dec 2008
    رشته و دانشگاه
    مهندسی
    ارسال‌ها

Sample email template to Professors in USA for Graduate School Research

Few students have asked me to write an article explaining the format and give a template on How to contact Sample email template to Professors in USA for Graduate School Research Fundingprofessor for funding. This article is continuation of previous related article Tips to email Professors for Grad School Admission. I recommend you to read the previous articles for context.

Basic rules/ tips to follow when you email Professors

There are some basics you have to remember before you start to think about emailing. Most of these apply for emailing professors for the first time. I have explained few of them in previous articles. I will summarize them and list them as rules.

Have good subject line (including Prospective Student in it)
    No grammar or spelling mistakes.
    Proper punctuations, capitalization, etc. Good English.
    No long emails. Should be around 5 to 7 sentences or less.
    Email only on week days ( think of weekdays in US)
    Do NOT attach anything like resume or you research paper, etc( in first email)
    Read few research papers published by the professor before emailing.
    Use proper technical jargon related to their research
    Refer to professor as “Dr. LAST NAME of Professor”. No Dear or Hi, etc.
    Try to highlight the key research area or your project by bold or underline.
    Do NOT refer to local companies or anything that is local to your country.
    Do NOT ask directly if you will get funding in first email.

Sample email template for contacting professors in US for Research

Usually, professors with research are extremely busy and they do not have time to reply to emails. Your subject should be very good indicating that you are prospective student and include the research info, etc to be attractive that they open it and read it. It has to be crisp and short. Do not assume that the other person knows about your country, companies, grading system, etc. It has to be very generic and reflect US terms. You have to be realistic, do not expect a reply right away or sometimes even reply most of the times…This is just our attempt to contact professors. Do not be disappointed.

Anything between ‘< >’ in below template has to be your text. I will list what it should have between them. Here is the template email to professors:

Subject : <proper subject line with prospective student and research info >

Dr. < Last Name of Professor >,

< Brief sentence that when you are applying >. < Sentence about you stating that you read research of the professor >. < Sentence about what similar stuff you have worked in your B.S / B.tech/ B.com or plan to work > . <Sentence about your are interested in the research area > < Sentence asking about research opportunities >

Looking forward for your reply,

Regards,

<Your Full Name>

Example email to Professor based on above template :

Imagine you are emailing Marketing professor about research opportunities.

Subject : Prospective Student Fall 2011 – Advertising Research Info needed.

Dr. John,

I am applying to University of Houston for fall 2011 for MS in Marketing. I have read few of your research publications on Advertising Research targeting online customers. I have worked on similar marketing project at school involving design and processing online customer data by surveys. I am interested in advertising research area and would like to know about research opportunities to work with you.

Looking forward for your reply,

Regards,

Kumar

The above email is just a sample, it can be written even shorter or longer including more technical stuff. It is just preference. The shorter the better…because it is human perception, think about it for a second, imagine about your mood if you look at 5 line email vs 20 line email ? The chances are, if it is short, you will say to yourself, “this is small, let me read it”. You would read it quick and reply. If not, you will say to yourself, “ this is too long to read and I will read and reply later”. Guess what ? if you do not read and reply right away, it just goes behind and never gets out….same is the case with busy professors.

Do you have any other sample formats or ideas?

Share your experiences contacting professors?
    هرکه را اسرار حق آموختند
    مهر کردند و دهانش دوختند

پیرو عرایز و صحبت های شما باید به این مسعله اولویت قرار دهید رو بزارید روی کسانی که کاملاً در زمینه ی شما فعال هستن. وقتی اونا تموم شدن برید روی کسانی که کلاً در زمینه ی مشابه کار می کنن.

تاریخ عضویت
    May 2018
    ارسال‌ها

سلام دوستان
    يك سوال داشتم.من رفتم تو پروفايل يك استاد در دانشگاه مورد نظرم مي خوام بهش ايميل بدم ولي ادرس ايميلش به صورت زيره.اين چه ادرس ايميليه؟مخصوصا اولش laks[at]t.
    E-mail: laks[AT]this department[DOT]this university[DOT]this country

نقل قول نوشته اصلی توسط bdjitnpsf نمایش پست ها
    سلام دوستان
    يك سوال داشتم.من رفتم تو پروفايل يك استاد در دانشگاه مورد نظرم مي خوام بهش ايميل بدم ولي ادرس ايميلش به صورت زيره.اين چه ادرس ايميليه؟مخصوصا اولش laks[at]t.

it means:
    Laks@
    if it is the electrical engineering department laks@ece
    if it is for example RWTH university then lask@ece.RWTH
    if it is Germany then lask@ece.rwth.de

ApplyAbroad Superstar
    تاریخ عضویت
    Jan 2018
    ارسال‌ها

سلام اینکار را انجام میدهند تا آدرس ایمیلها Harvest نشود. شما به جای هر کلمه داخل برکت علامت آنرا بگذارید و بیرون برکت کلمه مورد نظرش را.

موفق باشید

نقل قول نوشته اصلی توسط bdjitnpsf نمایش پست ها
    سلام دوستان

Keep Calm and APPLY ON

آیین "انجمن" پیام سپاس و قدردانی برنمیتابد. اگر ز مهر چنین اندیشه دارید "امتیاز مثبت" را برگزینید

harvest یعنی چه؟

تاریخ عضویت
    Jul 2014
    رشته و دانشگاه
    Postdoc - UBC - Mechanical Eng
    ارسال‌ها

نقل قول نوشته اصلی توسط abdossamad2003 نمایش پست ها
    harvest یعنی چه؟
    هاروست کردن ایمیل به این معنی هست که مقدار انبوهی از ایمیل ها رو کسی جمع آوری کنه و ازشون برای ارسال ایمیل های bulkی و spam کردن استفاده کنه! کلا برای این آدرس کامل ایمیل هاشون رو نمیذارن چون وقتی میذارن این آدم های سوء استفاده گر نابود میکنن ایمیل هاشون رو با فرستادن حجم خیلی زیادی از ایمیل و اینا
    Brothers everywhere , Raise your hands into the air
    We're warriors , Warriors of the world
    Like thunder from the sky , Sworn to fight and die
    We're warriors , Warriors of the world

صفحه 1 از 2 12 آخرینآخرین

علاقه مندی ها (Bookmarks)

علاقه مندی ها (Bookmarks)

مجوز های ارسال و ویرایش

• شما نمیتوانید موضوع جدیدی ارسال کنید
  • شما امکان ارسال پاسخ را ندارید
  • شما نمیتوانید فایل پیوست در پست خود ضمیمه کنید
  • شما نمیتوانید پست های خود را ویرایش کنید